314 Action released the following:
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE:
September 18, 2017
314 Action Endorses Dr. Kathie Allen for Congress in Utah’s 3rd Congressional District
Dr. Allen Spent 30 Years as a Family Medicine Physician; Began Running Against Rep. Chaffetz Who Said Americans Should Give Up Their Next iPhone to Afford Healthcare
(Washington, D.C.)—Today, 314 Action announced its endorsement of Dr. Kathie Allen, who is running for State Senate. 314 Action is the nation’s largest and only resource specifically created for scientists and STEM professionals seeking assistance running for office.
Dr. Allen released the following statement:
“I am so honored to be recognized by 314 Action. One of the goals of my campaign is to restore data-driven solutions to Congress.”
Founder and Board President of 314 Action Shaughnessy Naughton released the following statement:
“We are proud to endorse Kathie Allen for State Senate. We need more people with both STEM and business backgrounds leading us in Congress”
- Dr. Kathie Allen spent over 30 years as a family doctor in Utah, while running her own small business.
- After seeing Donald Trump elected to the Presidency, Kathie decided she could no longer stand by, and she became a leader in anti-gerrymanding efforts in Utah.
- Kathie’s district was represented by Congressman Jason Chaffetz, who as Chairman of the Oversight Committee vigorously investigated the Obama administration but refused to investigate Trump’s ties to Russia. Kathie decided to run against Chaffetz, and after his comments that Americans should give up the next iPhone to afford healthcare, her campaign caught traction overnight, and the strength of her candidacy caused Chaffetz to step down early.
- After knocking Chaffetz out of Congress, Allen is running in a November 2017 special election to replace him. Although Utah’s 3rd Congressional district is heavily Republican, 2017 Democratic performances in special elections have shown that any district, no matter how conservative, is in play.
- Kathie is running in a three-way race against the Republican nominee as well as the son of a popular former US Senator from one of Utah’s best-known political families. Due to this unique matchup, Kathie could very well win this race with under 50% on election day.
- Kathie’s campaign is well funded due to Chaffetz’s numerous gaffes, but Republicans will not want to give up this seat and will surely throw everything they can at her. Kathie needs your help today to take back this seat!
About 314 Action:
314 Action is the largest and only resource specifically created for scientists and STEM professionals seeking assistance running for office. 314 Action is a nonprofit 501(c)(4) that was founded by members of the STEM community, grassroots supporters and political activists. Formed in July 2016, 314 Action has over 225,000 active members and donors across the United States. 314 Action is concerned that STEM education in the United States is falling further and further behind the rest of the world, that our political leaders continue to deny scientific facts and that Congress fails to fully fund scientific research so we can solve pressing issues. For more information, visit 314action.org
314 Action has also endorsed challengers Jackie Rosen (Senate-NV), Hans Keirstead (CA-48) and Chrissy Houlahan (PA-6) , as well as incumbents Jerry McNerney (CA-9), Paul Tonko (NY-20), and Louise Slaughter (NY-25).